Museum Director, Program Director and Creative Project Manager skilled at directing diverse teams working on multiple projects. Seasoned public speaker and knowledgeable arts advocate with the ability to articulate important ideas and the ability to communicate to different groups of people in a coherent manner. Solid foundation in the contextual nature of art as it pertains to social trends, art history, and political movements. History of effectively working with boards and committees. Established background working with the media to garner deserved recognition for important programs. Well established contacts with and nationally known artists and arts organizations.
Public Speaking, Lectures and Education
Management of Multiple Project Teams
Managed Multi-million Dollar Grant Program
Board and Committee Facilitation
Fund Raising and Media Relations
Policy Development and Administration
Creative Project Manager: Denver, Colorado 2000-Present
Project Manager for the creation, engineering, fabrication, and installation of large-scale sculptural artworks for artists from around the country.
- Contract negotiations.
- Copyright management
- Budget creation and management Engineering and fabrication oversight Installation oversight
- Municipality liaison
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver: Denver, Colorado 2006-2009
Deputy Director/ Associate Curator
Responsible for effective management of staff, programming and installations. Board of Trustees Liaison for special projects, management, and contract oversight.
- Direct management of 15 person staff
- Project oversight for all Museum exhibitions, art installations and at off-site spaces. Curatorial duties for specific installations and exhibitions.
- Direct management of self performed Museum Café and Shop
- Facilities rental oversight
- Direct management of Museum facility
Director of Special Projects
- Design and construction oversight of the Museum of Contemporary Art/Denver’s first, Gold LEED Certified permanent home.
- Capital Campaign team member.
- Project oversight for a 16,000,000 construction project.
- Duties included architect selection committee, building committee oversight, program oversight, LEED program team member, budget management, design team management, change order review and management, Museum Board representation and presentations, and legal dispute management.
- Additional Museum project responsibilities included complete renovation of three temporary office and exhibition spaces.
Denver Office of Cultural Affairs: Denver 1996-2006
Public Art Program Director
Director and curator of the Public Art Program for the City and County of Denver, managing $30 million in Public Art Projects. Duties included program direction, budget management, project management, conceptualization of project scope, selection process coordination, contract negotiation, project facilitation, project team coordination, contract compliance, and interdepartmental liaison duties.
- Received the City of Denver’s highest performance rating of the “Outstanding” for eight of nine years reviewed.
- Developed and implemented public policy. Initiated substantive changes to the City’s Public Art ordinance as it relates to selection, collection management, maintenance procedures, and integrity of art works commissioned. These efforts established necessary safeguards for an important public amenity.
- Facilitated projects of the Mayor’s Commission on Art, Culture and Film and the Denver Art, Culture and Film Foundation which included project management of four major art installations and fund raising assistance for a $3 million capital campaign. The art works established by these efforts have become the most significant artworks in Denver’s collection.
- Successful management of 147 major works of public art. Project Management duties included conceptualization of projects, selection process coordination, contract negotiation, project facilitation, project team coordination, contract compliance, and inter- departmental liaison duties.
- Restructured the Public Art Committee and the Visual Art Committee for the Mayor’s Commission on Art, Culture and Film to work as an empowered public entity. These groups have become a vital link in building positive public opinion for projects of the Denver Office of Cultural Affairs.
- Developed and implemented public outreach and education programs including the presentation of over 35 lectures per year. Design and development of printed material and media coordination.
- Transformed a program suffering from poor public and media opinion into one of the most well respected Public Art Programs in the nation garnering more press than at any other time in its history.
- Provided maintenance and stewardship for the City’s $42 million art collection. Started the City’s first public art maintenance program to safeguard the Public Art amenities left in disrepair.
- Revamped the approach the City of Denver uses to contract for works of Public Art leading to a more professional agreement between parties.
Denver Center for Fine Photography: Denver, Colorado 1993-1996
Owner and Director of the region’s most comprehensive course curriculum in photography. The Center offered fourteen classes six workshops and four outdoor shooting expeditions. The center also sponsored exhibitions and juried shows from around the country
Grant Gallery: Denver, Colorado 1991-1996
Owner and director of Grant Gallery featuring vintage nineteenth and twentieth century photography, contemporary painting, printmaking and sculpture. Grant Gallery was nationally known for creating groundbreaking exhibitions and received 56 consecutive positive reviews in one of the two major Denver newspapers
Anthony R. Mayor Collection: Denver, Colorado 1991-present
Curatorial duties and acquisitions for an important collection of nineteenth and twentieth century landscape photography collection.
Photocollect: New York, New York 1987-1989
Assistant to the Director
Managed all aspects of the National Child Labor Committee’s collection of Lewis Hine photographs.
Bachelor of Fine Arts, photography and Media Arts: Pratt institute 1990
University of Iowa, print department 1984-1987
References available upon request